Italy: Social Security Holiday for New Hires
- The employee should not have been employed on a permanent contract with any other employer during the 6 months prior to being hired
- The employee must be hired on a permanent contract
- Despite the exemption running for a period of 3 years, it can only be applied to new employees hired in 2015 (the window closes as at midnight on the 31 December 2015)
- It cannot be applied to an employee who has already benefited from the ruling
- It cannot be applied to employees that were employed within the same group of companies in the 3 months prior to the law coming into force (i.e. During the last 3 months of 2014) (even if #1 above is satisfied)
However, as is often the case with tax breaks, with one hand gives, the other takes away – in introducing this new policy the Italian government has repealed a similar allowances granted to employers hiring employees that had been unemployed for a period of 24 months or more which unlike the new regulation was not restricted to employees hired in a certain time period.