Australia: Australia Updates
In a recent update, the Department of Immigration and Border Protection is looking to introduce new options for temporary entry visa for foreign workers. Also, a review is being conducted on existing visas to create a new framework as categorized below -
Work Pathway - Sponsored and Unsponsored
This category looks to allow businesses who need certain skill sets which are urgently required in Australia -
- Short-Term Mobility route: Allows entry for up to 12 months to complete specialized work such as intra company transfers, specialized contract work, etc;
- Temporary 457 Skilled route: this allows businesses to temporary fill vacancies which require certain skill sets for up to 4 years through employer sponsorship. Some of the recommendations from the 457 Independent Review process are being considered to reduce the processing time and paper work required for Australian businesses. Some of the proposed changes may include streamlining the processing of sponsorship, nomination and visa for low-risk applicants, increasing the sponsorship approval period from 12 to 18 months for start-up businesses, and more flexible English-language testing and skill requirements for 457 applicants.
- Permanent Independent Tested route: this will allow permanent residency through tests based on occupation, skill sets, age, and language competencies. New proposals are being considered to include regional focus, broadening ANZSCO occupation grouping from the existing 6-digit to a 4-digit, occupation ceilings and alternatives to the skills assessment criterion.
- Permanent Skilled route: this allows Australian employers to fill vacancies leading to permanent residency where genuine skill sets are urgently required.
Activity Pathway - Community, Traineeship
This category type brings together the need for activity based visa with proposal to the establishment of Approved Activities Lists and increased participation by the Universities to enhance the integrity of the visa intent.
- Community and Events route: which allows entry for up to 4 years, to participate in or assist with an event, or an approved cultural or social activity such as major sports and music events, cultural performances, expos, religious workers, school exchange and entertainers.
- Training and Specialist Research Stream route: which allows entry for up to 3 years to undertake approved training and research activities such as professional development, occupational traineeship, research and fellowships.