Contently - Advanced Expat Planning With a Trusted Partner
Contently provides enterprise companies with smart technology, content marketing expertise and vetted creative talent — journalists, photographers, designers, videographers and all things in between. Contently counts some of the best content marketing brands in the world as its clients. It was named one of Inc. magazine’s 100 fastest- growing private companies.
Sending a US citizen to the UK for the first time: Contently looked to expand into the UK’s promising market, with an eye towards expanding into other European countries later. The company had no trading presence and lacked detailed knowledge of UK immigration, expatriate compensation structuring and tax requirements.
Keeping the expat employee on a US payroll while fulfilling home- and host-country withholding requirements: Contently wanted advice on favorable payroll solutions, ideally to maintain the employee on a US payroll while making withholdings and remittances in both the US and the UK.
Ensuring that Contently’s expat employees did not suffer tax losses: Contently wanted to make current and future expat assignments equally appealing, in part by protecting its employees from possible negative tax consequences.
- Obtained a sole representative visa so the expat could work in the UK.
- Structured an optimal expat compensation package based on company philosophy.
- Developed a tax equalization policy, protecting all assignees from income tax losses.
- Drafted an assignment letter, applied for UK social security coverage and implemented a UK shadow payroll
- Trained Contently employees on how to run UK payrolls, hypothetical tax calculations and expat departure and arrival briefings.
- Completed expat’s year-end UK and US income tax returns.
- Reduced risks by obtaining the proper UK visa, making required tax and social registrations, and establishing a compliant shadow payroll.
- Promoted employee engagement by developing a tax equalization policy that protects expats from tax losses.
- Lowered ongoing costs by providing instruction on running UK payrolls, hypo tax calculations and expat trainings.